Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kilfoyle to stand down

Peter Kilfoyle, MP for Liverpool Walton, is to stand down at the next election. 


Kilfoyle entered Parliament in 1991 after the incumbent, Eric Heffer, the Militant Tendency favourite, died of a heart attack. 


I only interviewed Kilfoyle before Christmas. He talked then of retiring. 


It follows the news that another of Liverpool's MPs, Jane Kennedy, is to stand down. Kennedy, who represents Liverpool Wavertree, announced she not to stand again after a similar career path - challenging and defeating Militant Terry Fields for the Broadgreen constituency. 


I also met her recently. (I can see a trend here...)


I wonder, if in the selection process for Kilfoyle's seat, whether Labour will have learned the lessons of the Luciana Burger affair...

No comments:

What is Mash doing?

    follow me on Twitter